Friday, August 5, 2011

Chaat??? Kind of...Well, not really!

  If you don't know what Chaat is then... I guess I'm not alone.  Chaat is a term that is used to describe snacks that are usually served in stalls or carts, typically, in India!   No, I did't go to India!  I wish!  Instead, over spring break this year our family had gone to Washington D.C.   I ordered Chaat in a restaurant having no idea it was a deep-fried food (my bad).  When I came home I decided I could make a "Healthy" version of Chaat with absolutely nothing bad for you!  In this version I kept the Chickpeas, added a seasonal corn (yum), and opted out of the fried bread and potato pieces.  I also made a Yogurt garnish but decided to take it up a notch and used plain greek yogurt for the extra protein benefit.   So... without further a-due, here is the Scandinavian (a.k.a me) version of Chaat!

Base

1 cup Chickpea's (I used canned organic)
1 teaspoon curry (Use more if you really like the taste of curry)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1/2 small purple onion, diced
1 fresh tomato, diced
1 small cucumber, diced
1 large ear of corn, boiled and cut off of cob
2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped


Probiotic Yogurt Topping (a must)

1 single serving container of plain Greek Yogurt
1 1/2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon fresh dill (I used the dill flower from the garden to decorate:)

Method

1)  Warm the chickpeas on top of the stove on low.  Add the sesame oil, curry, salt and pepper.  Keep warm until you cut up the vegetables.
2)  Place all the other ingredients in the base layer and toss to combine.  Add the chickpeas and sauce to the fresh vegetables and toss to combine.
3) Meanwhile, mix the greek yogurt, honey and fresh dill in a small blender until well combined.
4) If you want you can serve this over rice ( I would make more yogurt topping if you were to do so)
5) Place Chickpea mixture on a plate and top with Yogurt topping, Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Save on select items at the Williams-Sonoma sale!

Clean up the kitchen with...Bar Keeper's Friend...click below!