Friday, June 24, 2011

Turkey Meatloaf with Lemon Grass and Dried Mushrooms

  I know what you're thinking... I only eat meatloaf in the winter!  Yes, I agree!  In Minnesota this year it still feels like winter!  It was 54 degrees the last time I looked.  So , I made warm mashed potatoes with roasted garlic, lemon grass, and vegan butter.  And a Turkey Meatloaf that was not only pleasing to the eye, but had wonderful flavor.  I thought a gravy would have been ideal to have with this meal, but of course, both boys still requested ketchup on the side.  Whatever, I guess Mom's of teenagers are never right:)   
A side note:  With this meal I used a pantry staple I talked about a few posts ago.  A container of dried mushrooms I picked up at Costco!  I love these because sometime when you want to make a quick risotto or perhaps a sauce of some type, you can always substitute the dried mushrooms.  They do have a smokey flavor compared to regular fresh mushrooms but I found them to be handy to have around!
Some ingredients for this meal!

Ingredients:


2 tablespoons Olive oil
1 cup chopped onion (I put in Cuisinart, and chopped fine)
3/4 cup chopped yellow or orange carrots (Chopped in Cuisinart as well.)
 4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup reconstituted dried mushrooms, chopped in the Cuisinart
2 sprigs of lemon grass, diced small (optional)
1 teaspoon lemon rind, diced
2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
1 cup bread crumbs
1 lb. ground turkey, (preferably mixed light & dark meat) 
1/4 cup white wine
1 teaspoon ground sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1 large egg
3 tablespoons ketchup


Method:


1) Saute onions, carrots, garlic and mushrooms in the olive oil on the stove top until onions become opaque. 

2) Pour the sautéed ingredients into a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients.  Deglaze the pan with the white wine and cook down until only 2 tablespoons remain.  Pour into bowl with other ingredients.
3) Add lemon grass, lemon rind, parsley, bread crumbs, ground turkey, ketchup, salt and pepper, mix well.
4) In a separate bowl, lightly beat an egg then add it to the bowl with all the ingredients.  Mix together well, and form into a football shape (American Football that is).  


5) Place on baking pan lined with parchment paper to keep from sticking.  Bake for 50 - 60 minutes, or until thermometer inserted in the center registers 175.  Let stand for five minutes and serve! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Save on select items at the Williams-Sonoma sale!

Clean up the kitchen with...Bar Keeper's Friend...click below!