Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Snicker Doodles

While I was growing up my Grandmother Evelyn was my savior when I would cook dinners for our small family of three.  My Dad worked three jobs and would run home to eat quickly and then would head off to another job.  My Mother was doing the same thing.  I remember her working two jobs at one point as well.  They were really hard workers so it was my job to get my homework done and cook the dinners.  Now, with this being said you can only image all the mistakes I made!  One time in particular, I decided to boil the water for the pasta as the directions on the back of the box suggested.  But, instead of draining the pasta when it was al dente, (I'm SURE this word was NOT in my vocabulary at the time) I let the pasta sit in the water until my dear old Dad got home from work.  To my surprise, it was like a brick!  I called my Grandmother of course who, first laughed and then told me I needed to start over.  Oh well, I guess we sometimes learn things the hard way!  With all of this being said my Grandmother gave me this easy cookie recipe.  I'm sure she was secretly thinking, "I sure hope she can't mess this one up?"
These are wonderful with a cup of hot tea on a cold winter's day!
1 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons cream of tarter
1 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

Method:

1)  Mix the first 3 ingredients until creamy.
2)  Mix the rest of the ingredients
3)  Roll the dough into 1/2 inch balls and roll the balls into a mixture of Cinnamon and sugar (I use 1/2 cup sugar mixed with 1 tablespoon of cinnamon, but adjust this to your liking)!
4) Bake in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Save on select items at the Williams-Sonoma sale!

Clean up the kitchen with...Bar Keeper's Friend...click below!