Friday, February 18, 2011

Dover Sole Served with a Gingered Carrot Sauce....WHEAT FREE!

  Did any of you grow up with an authority figure who would say, "Eat all your food there are people starving in other countries"?  Well, for me it was a constant reminder and a very unwelcome one!  I got so tired of my Grandmother telling me, to eat all of my food, people were starving, and the like, that I would end up trying to find ways to feed it to the dog under the table.  The reason I'm divulging so much information is sometimes I'm finding I say the same thing to my children.  I guess this explains two things about me:
                     1)  Why my dog Lilly is unable to lose weight...too funny (Get it? The kids
                           must be feeding her under the table)!
                    2)  Why I'm an incurable frugal cook!  I'm contantly trying to find new       
                          creative ways to use ingedients I had originally purchased for another recipe. 
  Which of course brings me to today's recipe.  I had bought the ginger and green onions for the soup yesterday and had leftover's;  I wouldn't that go to waste.  The carrots were purchased for the soup a couple days ago, so why not use them?  And lastly, the wheat free spaghetti which I purchased for the above mentioned soup, with only a quarter of a box left, I wouldn't dream of throwing that away either!
  I had stopped by the store today to pick up some essentials for the kids and browsed around the seafood area to see if I could spot a deal.  Which I did!  I came home with a a couple pieces of Dover sole for a total of $2.43, which would feed the three of us tonight!  Perfect, simple, healthy meal! Did I mention...YUMMY?
Serves 3
3 slices Dover sole(Note: True Dover sole is imported frozen to the United States from European countries)
1 tablespoon Earth Balance vegan butter, Optional
2 tablespoons Wheat Free Flour
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
5 carrots, sliced lengthwise
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, sliced into thin disks
3 green onions including stalks, sliced
1/4 cup white wine
1/4-1/2 box of Wheat free pasta, made al denta
3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste
Serve with the left over lemon wedges

Method:

1)  In a large pot, bring water to a boil.  Place pasta in boiling water and cook according to the directions on the package, 8-11 minutes.  Cook this while you are cooking the fish and vegetables
2)  Meanwhile, dust each Dover sole fillet with salt and pepper and wheat free flour (picture above), and lemon zest .  Also, cut up the carrots, ginger, green onions, and parsley to have on hand when fish is complete.
3) In a medium frying pan, heat the olive oil over high heat.  Add the fillets and allow to cook on each side for 2 minutes.  This should not take too long, depending on the thickness of your fillets.  Carefully, remove the fillets and set on a warm plate.
4) Using the same pan you cooked the fillets in add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil.  Quickly, add the carrots, ginger and green onions and saute until carrots soften a bit, 4-6 minutes.
5) Add the wine to the pan, deglazing and scraping any brown bits off the bottom of the pan, remove promptly, 1 minute.
6) To serve, take drained pasta and mix in 1 tablespoon of Earth Balance butter (if you would like).  Place a portion of pasta on 3 plates, top with vegertable mixture and sauce, divided among the plates.  Lastly, add the Dover Sole to each plate and top with parsley and a squeeze of lemon juice.  Serve at once and enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. Tiff,

    What's a sweet onion (from your soup recipe)? Also, where did you get those seeds (in the blue bag?)

    Jeannene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Question 1)
    There are two main classifications of onions. The 1st is Green Onion's(as called scallions), the 2nd are Dry Onions which are all the other onions that have a dry, papery skin with a juicy flesh inside. These come in a wide variety of sizes, colors and flavors. A sweet onion can be called Vidalia, Oso Sweet, Walla Walla onions, or Rio Sweet to name a few. I think the Rio is the sweetest of all, but that's just my opinion. For the the recipe below I used Walla Walla onions, but that was because that was what the store had in stock this time of year.
    Question 2:
    I bought them at Whole Foods, but we also have them in our local co-opts. I'm sure they have them in CT.

    ReplyDelete

Save on select items at the Williams-Sonoma sale!

Clean up the kitchen with...Bar Keeper's Friend...click below!