Monday, February 28, 2011

Homestyle Orange Chicken

After picking my boys up from school today I informed them we needed to stop by the store for a few things.  I explained I was really in the "mood" for a garlic soup with an authentic crusty bread (Wheat Free) for dipping.  My oldest son responded, "MOM, I just want Chinese food tonight!"   Well, I guess I'll have to experiment with the garlic soup another night and make them something they are in the mood for.  So here it is...kid friendly orange chicken!

Marinade:
2 Tablespoons Dry Sherry
1 Tablespoon Corn Starch


Sauce:
1/3 cup orange juice
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon chile paste
1 teaspoon Sesame oil

Ingredients:
4 boneless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoon ginger, minced
Oil of your choice for stir frying
1/4 cup dry sherry, for deglazing the pan


Method:

1) Make the marinade, and allow chicken to saute for 30 minutes.
2) Meanwhile, combine all ingredients for the sauce, mix well and set aside.
3) Add oil of your choice to a wok and when heated add the minced ginger and garlic, stir for 2-3 minutes.
4) Add the marinaded chicken and saute until browned on all sides, deglaze the pan with the 1/4 cup of dry sherry and once it disappears add the sauce and stir for a minute or so.  Serve over sticky rice and add a green vegetable on the side (Let's get these kids eating more greens:)  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Save on select items at the Williams-Sonoma sale!

Clean up the kitchen with...Bar Keeper's Friend...click below!