|New Desk Hand Built for only $53.00 with Tax|
|Before...I had just put these old chairs just to get me by until I had time to fix the area!|
First, I measured the area to get a ruff idea of how big I wanted the desk to be! Then off to Home Depot to find the wood I had in mind. After I found what I was looking for I started to compare cost and wood type to be sure I kept this desk under $50.00! I unfortunately went over my limit by $3.00. Oh well... I could have done worse.
|The Wood I bought!|
2 ~ 4X4's
1 piece ~ Birch 2X4X1
I had nails, table saw and sander at home, last minute I added birch around the sides (but, I had this in my scrape pile)!
I did find the decorative bolts 4 for $1.97 at Lowe's
Next, I started building the legs! At first I was going to try this fancy crisscross design, but then decided I didn't want the desk not to have leg room so I went with the standard leg design. This does look different thou because the wood I used was 4X4's and they really have an impact. I wanted a modern Ralph Lauren Design that was timeless. I really think this was achieved.
I bolted the legs together from the top down so no screws are visible anywhere on the piece, except for the bolts I added for "THE LOOK"! Otherwise, this piece has clean lines!
|Lilly is always the helper...NOT!|
Next, I added the top Birch piece and screwed this in from underneath as well. Lilly thought she was helping me make this level. I assure you she was NOT HELPFUL:)
At, this point I stood back and decided to add a 4" skirt around the tabletop to balance the ultra thick legs. After I finished the skirt, I distressed the top of the! I took chains and a saw and "Beat" the desk up until I got the desired look I wanted. Then I sanded the top, lightly so it blended well.
|The stains I used!|
I decided to get the "LOOK" I wanted I needed to mix a few stains together. I LOVE the General Finishes Stain because the product is the easiest stain I have ever worked with. I started with a Walnut water based stain, while the table was still wet I added the Rust-oleum Weathered Grey stain, then added the Burnt Umber Glaze effect over that and touched up with the Walnut stain again. This seems like a lot but, I assure you it went quick. After I let the piece dry for 4 hours I added a General Finishes Polyurethane! Then, let it dry a bit again. After it was dry to the touch I added the decorative bolts. And YIPPEE... I have myself a Ralph Lauren Desk.
|Here is close-up|
|Here is another!|
In these pictures below you can see the desk in the bedroom space. I might add a rug at some point! But, for now I'm ONE HAPPY GIRL!
|I tried shutting the blinds for the picture but this is a hard one to get.|
|Ahhh. I can work at a desk in my bedroom now! LOVE IT!|
|No desk of mine wouldn't be complete without a Tiffany & Co. BOX...lol!|