Sunday, September 7, 2014

Giacobbe's Famous Tomato Sauce

I married into an Italian family which was quite interesting at times.  Italian's use there hands a lot when they talk and are VERY EXPRESSIVE.  You find out on the very first time you meet the family if they "LIKE" you or not.  NO "LIKE" button's here... you find out vocally...TRUST ME... they let you know!  Luckily, his mother REALLY liked me and I was brought into the kitchen to learn her Italian cooking first hand.  Her sister Valentina also helped me with the Italian cooking advice and years ago after Norma passed away, Valentina helped me when I decided to put together a cookbook together in Norma's Memory.  Unfortunately, a month after I finished a very ruff version of the cookbook, Valentina passed away.   So, now years have gone by and I have decided to look back at these wonderful recipes and see if they fit the healthy life style and cooking I make now.   The hard part, I have found, is reading these recipes in Italian and then add in that she wrote in short hand....UGH!   I'll take my SWEDISH any day.   Here is the Giacobbe Family Tomato Sauce I have fed the kids for years and it's a keeper because it freezes well.


  Giacobbe's Famous Tomato Sauce

Cover bottom of pot with Olive Oil
1/4 onion coarsely chopped
1/2 clove of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon of fennel
1 can whole chopped tomatoes
2 6oz. can's Tomato Paste
1-2 cups water
1 Tablespoon salt
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon Oregano, ground

Cook for 3 hours ~NO BOIL~ Just occasional bubble.  Last hour add Oregano )1 teaspoon), and 2 bay leaves.  I always make a double batch or even a triple batch and freeze in containers for quick meals for the boys.  I always use the Jovial Wheat Free pasta... but be creative and find something you enjoy!

OPTIONAL

Place 1lb sausage in pan in oven for 1/2 hour at 350.  Puncture to release fat.  Then add to sauce.  (Veal is good as well)
Valentina & My son Graham

Norma on her Honeymoon before any kids:)  She would have liked that I used this picture:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Save on select items at the Williams-Sonoma sale!

Clean up the kitchen with...Bar Keeper's Friend...click below!