Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Roasting Hatch Peppers... The Easy Way

Today I went to Whole Foods and noticed a guy roasting the Hatch Peppers out front.  It was pretty early in the AM so I was the only one around.  I decided to stop and ask him how hard this would be to do on my own.  He told me it wasn't hard at all and I could do it in my home oven if I wanted to.  So, I went home to give this a try with his directions etched in my brain.  I wish he would have told me to wear gloves.  That would be the only thing he forgot to mention.

4 Heat types: NM 6-4: Mild, Big Jim: Medium, Sandia: Hot, & Lumbia: Extra Hot
When they roast outside Whole Foods this is what they use to blacken the peppers
I placed my peppers on a piece of foil and put in 500 degree oven
DIRECTIONS:
(These are from the Whole Foods Rep.)
Preheat oven to 500
place Sliced peppers, seeds removed on foil
Put in oven for 7-15 minutes, tossing them every minute or so
Once they have browned wrap them up in the foil immediately and put them in a plastic bag, close the bag and allow to cool like this.

Storage and Use of Peppers:
  At this point you can do two things
1) Peel the peppers and use within 1 day.  Don't allow peppers to sit longer they can get moldy.
2) Place the peppers with skins on in a plastic bag and place in the freezer.  The peppers last a while this way.  Just take out of the freezer and you can remove the skin and use them once they have defrosted.
My Peppers are almost complete


  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Save on select items at the Williams-Sonoma sale!

Clean up the kitchen with...Bar Keeper's Friend...click below!