This weekend my husband was home for a visit and I love making up recipes, so this was my chance to use skills I've been lacking sense I've gone vegan! I should also mention the fact that the temperature in Minnesota was -9 that morning, so the thought of eating a HOT homecooked meal appealed to me even though I wasn't able to eat it. This meal contains veal rather than the usual lamb and potato variety of Shephard's pie. One more little tidbit of information: If you buy your veal (or any meats/seafood) at Byerly's in Chanhassen Minnesota visit Doug (from the butcher shop) he can help you with any of your needs. He helped me make this meal cheaper than it would have been if I bought the meat out of the front case. I saved over $4.00 and he cut everything up for me! Tell him Tiffany from As Easy As Salt and Pepper sent you...he'll love that!
3 tablespoon's olive oil
2 medium purple onions, cut into chucks
1 lb. veal, diced (I used veal shoulder blade steak and used the bones for the gravy)
5 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 turnips, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
1 cup celery, sliced
1 container sliced button mushrooms
1 clove garlic, sliced
1 tablespoon dried Tarragon leaves
1/2 cup white wine, (I buy little 4 packs of chardonnay for cooking wine I find it tastes better)
1 cup beef broth
All drippings from the filling made in the crockpot
Place bones (if you have them) in the beef broth
1 tablespoon flour
Salt and Pepper to taste
FOR MASHED POTATO TOPPING:
2 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and quartered
1/4 cup skim milk
3 tablespoons butter
Salt and Pepper to taste
TO MAKE THE FILLING:
1) Add Olive oil to a saute pan. Salt and Pepper the veal. Sprinkle a little flour over as well and saute on medium high heat, until slightly browned but NOT cooked all the way through. Place in crock pot.
2) Saute onions, carrots, turnips, celery, mushrooms in olive oil until lightly sauteed about 8 minutes. Place in crock pot and add the garlic and tarragon.
3) Deglaze the pan with wine, place over meat and vegetable for 4 hours, on low, in the crock pot.
WHEN FILLING IS ALMOST FINISHED
BEGIN MAKING POTATOES:
1) Boil the potatoes, uncovered until very tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain in a colander.
2) Add milk and butter to the potatoes and mash. Add salt and pepper to taste.
1) Take any liquid from the crock pot and place in a pan and mix in beef broth (Add bones if you have them and boil for 8-10 minutes. Remove them before adding the flour mixture). In a container you can shake, mix 2 tablespoons cold water with the flour. Pout into the mixed liquid and stir until it thickens. Add Salt and Pepper to your liking.
ASSEMBLE THE PIE AND BROIL TOPPING:
1) Preheat broiler. Using a oven proof dish, that you're able to serve in, place items from crock pot.
2) Spoon in gravy.
3) Spoon potatoes over the top evenly with a spatula, making a pattern if you desire.
4) Lastly, broil until top is golden, about 3-5 minutes. Enjoy!