Shepherd's pie was originally created to use up leftovers from a dinner of lamb and potatoes. I haven't had lamb lately, but did have some vegetables. I actually put some beef roast in the boys version of this meal because I think they are missing meat in there diet. I however, kept true to my new way of living...which is NOT easy living with a bunch of boys. This did turn out really good and was easy to make different versions for different nutritional needs. Have fun with it!
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, diced
5 carrots, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 turnips, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 celery stalks, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
3 leeks (white and pale green parts only), cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
1 container sliced portobello mushrooms
1 tablespoons chopped garlic
2 teaspoons chopped parsley
1/4 cup red wine (white wine would work too)
1 cup vegetable broth
1 tablespoons corn starch
Salt and pepper to taste
FOR MASHED POTATO TOPPING:
1 1/2 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and quartered
1/4 cup oat milk
3 tablespoons earth balance vegan butter
1 clove garlic, minced
Salt and Pepper to taste
TO MAKE THE FILLING:
1) Saute onions, carrots, turnips, celery, leeks, and mushrooms in olive oil until lightly sauteed about 8 minutes. Place in crock pot and add the parsley and garlic. Next, deglaze the pan with wine and place in crock pot and place on low for 4 hours.
WHEN FILLING IS TENDER BEGIN
TO MAKE THE POTATOES:
1) Boil the potatoes, uncovered until very tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain in a colander.
2) Add oat milk, earth balance butter, and garlic to the drained potatoes and blend. Add salt and pepper to taste.
1) Warm vegetable broth and add corn starch until it thickens add any liquid left from the crock pot and stir to combine.
ASSEMBLE THE PIE AND BROIL TOPPING:
1) Preheat broiler. Using an oven proof dish, that you can serve in, place vegetables.
2) Spoon in gravy.
3) Next, spoon potatoes over the vegetables and spread evenly with a spatula, making a pattern if you would like.
4) Lastly, broil until top is golden, about 3 minutes. Enjoy!