Saturday, January 15, 2011

Romaine and Kale with Clementine Olive Oil Dressing

The boys and I went skijoring today (picture below).  With all the new snow we had yesterday it was wonderful skiing today.  I should say Lilly (our dog) and one boy went skijoring!  My other son and I worked for our food, and didn't have the benefit of a 80lb. golden retriever pulling us on cross country skis.  It was great fun and when we got home it was time to eat.  The boys wanted soup, but I was in the mood for a salad.  I put this little salad together and was pleasantly surprised with the outcome.  Very easy to do and it would be a great starter salad for a dinner party!  Enjoy!


1 head Romaine lettuce, torn into bite size pieces
1 bunch of Kale, torn into bite size pieces
1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds, no shell
1/4 cup walnut pieces, lightly toasted
4 dried figs, sliced thin
3 Clementines, Zest of one, Juice of one, and peel and cut one to use on salad
Olive Oil (I used the "oil mister" I talked about)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Method:

1) Place lettuce and kale on plates (should be enough for 2). 
2) Top with sunflower seeds, walnuts, figs and clementines.  Zest one clementine over each salad. 
3) Next, spray olive oil over both salads and squeeze clementine juice over as well.  Salt and Pepper to taste and serve.



2 comments:

  1. If I understand skijoring, the dog is supposed to do all the work! Lilly doesn't look like she's working too hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She was... but when you tell her to sit for a picture...YOU understand:)

    ReplyDelete

Save on select items at the Williams-Sonoma sale!

Clean up the kitchen with...Bar Keeper's Friend...click below!