Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Vegan Banana Bread

If you were reading the blog yesterday and you noticed I was going Vegan for 6 months to lower my cholesterol you most likely thought, "Yikes, these recipes are going to be gross!"   Well, I was pleasantly surprised today when I made myself a healthy version of the old stand by Grandma's banana bread.  It was moist with a wonderful texture I thought I wouldn't get out of a gluten-free all-purpose flour.  I altered this recipe myself, as usual, so if something seems unpleasant or undesirable to you feel free to change it back to an ingredient you might like better.  For example, instead of sugar I used agave nectar, and instead of butter I used canola oil.  I also switched out the milk and used oat milk.
The Acorn is not butter but rather Vegan Earth Balance Spread.
1 cup Bob's Red Mill gluten-free, all-purpose baking flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (can be purchased at a local Co-Op or Whole Foods store)
1/4 salt
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup canola oil
1/3 cup oat milk
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup walnuts, broken into small pieces
Picture of some of the Ingredients used!

Method

1)  Preheat oven to 350.  Lightly spray small loaf pan and line the bottom with a piece of parchment paper.
2)  In a bowl mix the first 5 ingredients together (Flour, baking soda, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt.)

3)  In a separate bowl, mix the next 4 ingredients together (bananas, canola oil, oat milk and vanilla extract).

4)  Mix the dry and wet ingredients together and add the walnuts if you would like.
5)  Next, bake in oven for 45 minutes to an hour.  Bread is done when a toothpick placed in the center comes out clean.  Allow the bread to cool before turning out of the pan.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This is a great post! Good luck on your adventure. We are always searching and tweeting the best walnut recipes, I think we may have a few that you might find delicious and yet still vegan! Have a wonderful Walnut Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the comment. I use walnuts in many recipes and LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete

Save on select items at the Williams-Sonoma sale!

Clean up the kitchen with...Bar Keeper's Friend...click below!