Thursday, February 5, 2015

Concussion Smoothie Bowl

  They say that nutrition is one of the most important aspects of brain health after a concussion.  My little guy got a concussion last night, which kept me up checking on him throughout the night, (If you have kids you know what I'm talking about).   I know that nutrition plays a huge part in recovery so I went to the store this morning to find the necessary foods to feed his brain well.  This is not as simple as it sounds because with concussions you can be nauseous all the time.  Luckily, I think this is a mild concussion and any nausea he had last night was not evident this morning.  So, my quest on healing began.

Here is what to stay away from if you've had a concussion:  Cooked oils (anything fried), sugar, caffeine, alcohol, artificial colors and flavors. - basically all the things you've heard of that are bad for anyone are especially terrible for your brain when you have a concussion.

Here is what to eat/drink if you've had a concussion: Avocados, blueberries, kefir, meat from grass fed cows, nuts & seeds, (OMEGA'S are NOW YOUR BEST FRIEND),  raw honey (heals tissues), wild salmon, eggs, coconut oil (If cooking), and obviously... drink water.

A couple things I also am doing per a Dr. friend is: NO MEDIA, stay in a dark room and just rest, don't read (rest the brain),  a headache means you need more rest and you are over doing it.  REST, REST, REST!  I think of this as CONCUSSION JAIL:)

I will have this boy healed in record time... just watch me!
Ingredients:

1 cup frozen organic wild blueberries
1 scoop of organic wheatgrass (I use Amazing Grass brand)
1 cup of organic kefir
1 tablespoon flax oil
1/2 cup organic wild blueberry juice

Method: Blend all above ingredients in a Vita-mix blender, if you don't have a high powered blender add more blueberry juice or kefir.

TOPPINGS:
This is the best part so don't forget to make your loved one feel special! Plus they'll want to eat more if it's pretty!

1 cup fresh organic blueberries
10-12 sprouted raw almond (you don't have to sprout them I just had some)
1 tablespoon Barlean's Pina Colada Swirl OMEGA oil (THIS IS A MUST)
5-6 Coco Mango Pomegranate Chews (I buy these at Whole Foods in bulk, Coco stands for Coconut)
1 slice banana, cut in the shape of a moon... he needs to go rest more:)
 
The Moon means he needs more rest after eating this yummy healthy bowl!
Him diving in and licking the sides...PERFECT!

STAY WELL!


1 comment:

  1. If you have just started taking Green energy drinks just make sure to mix it with good, natural juice of tropical fruits (apple, mango, bananas and pineapple work great for me) in a smoothie. Try to avoid berries and citrus fruit.

    ReplyDelete

Save on select items at the Williams-Sonoma sale!

Clean up the kitchen with...Bar Keeper's Friend...click below!